Saturday, February 04, 2006

What is this all about?

Today I was reading about the Muslim reactions to Danish papers printing images of Mohammed which many Muslims believe are degrading and it infuriated me. Not because I was sympathetic to either side, but rather because it is all just so stupid. I decided it was time to make my views on religion known.

This blog will talk about my views on religion and what it was like to grow up in the United States as an Atheist.

I am not just an Atheist, I am a radical Atheist. That means I don't just believe religion is a big old lie, but I believe it is important to stomp out the lie. I believe that a fundamental belief in such a large untruth is harmful.

Growing up in the 70s in a university town in a rural state as an Atheist was at times a difficult thing. None of my friends were Atheists. Atheism was a major stigma, one I often kept hidden. It was just not acceptable to not believe in God. In fact, not believing in God was not something that our neighbors understood and we were in a progressive part of the state. In this blog I will often write about the feelings and difficulties growing up this way.

1 Comments:

Blogger anonymous said...

"I am not just an Atheist, I am a radical Atheist. That means I don't just believe religion is a big old lie, but I believe it is important to stomp out the lie. I believe that a fundamental belief in such a large untruth is harmful."

I would say this makes you an Evangelical Atheist. One of the big criticisms of Theism is that it's adherents have a tendancy to think exactly what you just said, but replacing religion with Atheism or other religions.

If you really don't mean that you think that democratic states where the majority of people are theist should be forced to hide their beliefs or that it's fine for an atheistic state to invade a theist state to stomp on their beliefs, then you should word it more carefully. If you do believe that those things are ok, then you don't have the quality that I believe makes theism or atheism rational - humility.

2:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home